Pregnancy Ticker

Friday, May 7, 2010

The tolerance test

Yesterday I met with my midwife and had my glucose tolerance test (GTT). First off I would like to warn you all that this post maybe a little TMI for some of you. But I will reward you with good updates at the end about the baby.

So it all started last week when I went to take my GTT, I ingested the lovely sugary fruit punch beverage they make you drink and headed to the office so they can take my blood. When I was about to leave I felt a little funny, like I was about to get sick, I thought it was nothing so I got in my car and started driving. Well it wasn’t nothing and I did get sick. Luckily I was able to pull over and yak in an empty grocery bag I had in my car. Needless to say I was unable to take the test since it becomes invalid once you throw it up. And to top it off, I was sick the rest of the day.
So we had to reschedule the test for this week, I was working with the nurse to come up with an alternative to taking the nasty drink that made me so sick, because I knew it would happen again. She said when I come in for my next appointment she will have something for me. I signed in for my appointment and the nurse I was working with was not there, and they said I would need to take the drink again. I almost broke down and cried. However they gave me a new flavor, lemon-lime, and said I could drink as much water as I wanted. I was trying to think positive and will myself not to throw this up because I need to get this test over with. I had to hold back for 45 minutes, I had some close calls in the waiting room but I stayed strong, they got my blood sample and I was able to leave. I left less talkative and a little green, I knew what was coming next as it was just a matter of time. Thank God I had another bag in my car because even though I was praying and hoping I could make it home before my sickness took over, that did not happen. On the brightside I now know I can drive and yak in a bag several times. I was just glad I made it home in one piece and I had Justin to help me get cleaned up and take care of me.

Ok, since you made it through my TMI moment you all deserve a great update about the baby. While I was waiting for them to take my blood I had my check up with my midwife Gwen. She was very pleased with my belly growth, my weight and baby Hancock’s heart beat. We also talked more about our birth plan and she made me feel very at ease about all the questions I had. Besides my negative experience with the GTT, this has been a wonderful journey and we can’t wait to meet our little baby. Baby bump picture will come next week.

Love to all,
Justin and Mandy

1 comment:

  1. Awww sweet pregnant, Mandy! You are a strong lady. I, too, had a hard time choking that stuff down :) So glad to hear the good report. XOXOX

    ReplyDelete